Custom Essay is providing qualified assistance with Position Essays. Please, learn more about
our service in this quick guide:
Position essay topics: Multiculturalism - should it be nurtured?
Multiculturalism is defined as an ideology that insists on government support for both majority and minority groups, especially indigenous populations. Basically, multiculturalism refers to the statement that all cultural groups, inhabiting the country, should have equal rights and freedoms. Multiculturalism, as opposed to monoculturalism has been enjoying substantial legal and political enforcement in the United States, although such countries as Germany and the United Kingdom still adhere to monocultural course. Critics of multiculturalism position the lack of public compliance to the implication of the ideology as the main argument against multiculturalism.
1) Multiculturalism basically derives from universal human rights and is therefore an inalienable attribute of any democratic state.
2) The inflow of individuals of different cultural backgrounds inevitably results in ethnic segregation and isolation.
3) The state should primarily solve the problem of national identity development and only afterwards entrench multiculturalism.
4) Ethnic minorities, whose cultures are supported and promoted by government, are likely to require autonomy within the country and even initiate revolutionary movements.
5) Multiculturalism enhances cross-cultural exchange, since each ethnic or national group has an opportunity to learn much from another one.
6) Multiculturalism is a mere observance of each minority group's cultural traditions, so this political course contains no threats or hazards.
Primary issues to discuss:
1) Is American national identity likely to be negatively affected by multiculturalism? Are there any evident changes in national identity today?
2) Think carefully to which political ideology multiculturalism belongs: liberalism or democracy?
3) Is multiculturalism attainable? Which positive and negative outcomes of multiculturalism do you foresee?
1) Malik, K. The Real Value of Diversity. Connections, Winter 2002. Available online at: http://www.kenanmalik.com/essays/diversity.html
2) McKenzie, C. The Menace of Multiculturalism, 2nd edition, 1998. Available online at: http://www.gwb.com.au/gwb/news/pc/multi3.htm
- Continue by reviewing some general information on position essays.
- Review brief summary on position essay topics.
- Also, review additional topics for position essays, including:
> brief description of the suggested position essay topic;
> possible thesis statements for the essay;
> primary issues that can be discussed in the essay;
> some readings and sources suggested by our writers for the topic.
Selected topics for position essay were split into two categories:
Information technology threats
Computer and Internet addiction
Cultural issues within the US
Still uncertain about further steps with your essay or other writing assignment?
Let our professional writers assist you with this burden. Please, read about our
, open a quality issue ticket
Essay support system
place an order
to get customized solution
that fits exactly